Thursday, September 1, 2011

GPS Users Need to Better Understand this Threat

I will admit I need to better understand the ramifications of this FCC action, but I thought it better to get others also reviewing the matter as well. My understanding is that the FCC has given conditional approval for the deployment of a new integrated wireless broadband and satellite network that uses frequencies near those of most GPS units. The concern is that the interference from use of these frequencies will have significant impacts on the current GPS systems.

In addition to hikers, this could also potentially impact boats, aircraft, GPS controlled agricultural equipment and GPS controlled construction equipment. I learned of these concerns through a construction periodical, but there was no mention on how this would affect GPS units for automobiles.

Anyone with more information please add comments even/especially if I have some facts wrong! See link below to the Coalition to Save Our GPS white papers on the subject. I can not confirm the accuracy of the reports linked below, but it was referenced in the article published in the National Utility Contractors Association (NUCA) publication "Utility Contractor".

Coalition to Save Our GPS whitepapers

No comments:

Post a Comment